Legal Excellence On Tapp

Your full-service, fully professional law firm in Hot Springs

Frequently Asked Questions About Car Accidents

If you suffered an injury in a car accident, you have come to the right place. At Tapp Law Firm, we have years of experience handling claims resulting from auto and other motor vehicle accidents. Our clients love us because we understand what they are going through. We listen to their concerns and we always return their calls. We provide compassionate counsel throughout the claims and litigation process and we provide expert and aggressive representation against the auto insurance companies, which are often determined to pay you less than your claim is worth.

Below are some frequently asked questions about car accidents and legal claims resulting from these dangerous and all too common events. At the bottom of the page, you can request a free consultation to discuss your possible claim, as well as a free informational brochure.

  • When should I contact an attorney following a car accident?
  • Should I speak with the other driver’s insurance company?
  • Should I call my insurance company?
  • Should I seek medical attention following a car accident?
  • Should I take pictures at the scene of the accident?
  • Should I talk to the police following a car accident?
  • What information should I obtain following a car accident?
  • Who should I call after a car accident?
  • What should I do after a car accident?

When Should I Contact An Attorney Following A Car Accident?

It’s a good idea to contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after you’ve been involved in a car accident. At Tapp Law Firm, an Arkansas attorney will talk to you, with no charge or obligation, about the facts of your case, and determine whether a claim can be asserted. If you decide to hire us, we will coordinate all communications between insurance companies, health care providers and other interested parties. We are dedicated to protecting the rights of our clients and preserving their personal injury claims.

Should I Speak With The Other Driver’s Insurance Company?

You should never speak to the other driver’s insurance company on your own. They are highly trained to find ways to pay you less than you deserve on your claim. You also have no obligation to speak to the other driver’s insurance provider in order to make a claim for injuries or damage. You should always consult with a qualified car accident attorney before attempting to speak with the other driver’s insurance company. If you say the wrong thing, it could prevent you from getting a full recovery, or any recovery, for your valid claim.

Should I Call My Insurance Company?

It is not necessary to call your insurance company from the scene of the accident, but many insurance companies do require that you report an accident promptly. If you do call the insurance company before consulting with an attorney, you should only give the basic information about how the accident happened. If they want more detail or if they want to record your call, you should meet with an attorney before going any further.

Should I Seek Medical Attention Following A Car Accident?

Sometimes a person is hurt but doesn’t begin to experience symptoms until the next day, or even several days later. Often a person experiences an adrenaline rush following a car accident. They are confused and disoriented and concerned about their family, or perhaps their car. It is always best to be safe by getting checked out at a local emergency room, or by your physician. Waiting too long to get checked out by a doctor could hurt your chances of making a fair recovery for your claim.

Should I Take Pictures At The Scene Of The Accident?

Absolutely. These days, nearly everyone has a phone with a camera. You should photograph the damage to all involved vehicles, the overall accident scene and any visible injuries. Take as many pictures as you can from many different angles. In car accidents, a picture is often worth a thousand words.

Should I Talk To The Police Following A Car Accident?

Yes. You should fully cooperate with the police, explaining how the accident happened. You should not take fault for the accident, even if you think you have some share of the blame. Fault can be determined and apportioned later.

What Information Should I Obtain Following A Car Accident?

  • As much detailed contact information as you can for the other drivers involved in the accident (name, address, phone numbers, email)
  • Vehicle information for all vehicles involved in the accident (make, model, year, license plate number)
  • Names and contact information for all passengers and witnesses at the scene of the accident
  • Insurance information for all vehicles/drivers involved in the accident, including company name, policy number and dates of coverage
  • The name, badge number and department name for the investigating officer(s) who show up at the accident scene

Who Should I Call After A Car Accident?

Contact emergency personnel right away by calling 911. Even if there do not appear to be injuries that require immediate medical attention, you should still contact the police. The police will take statements and preserve evidence and witnesses. If the police refuse to come out because the accident was in a private parking lot or there were no injuries, gather the necessary information yourself before people leave the scene of the accident.

What Should I Do After A Car Accident?

The highest priority immediately following a car accident is to stay safe. Leave the car where the accident occurred unless it is unsafe to do so. If you cannot leave your car where the accident happened, safely pull to the side of the road and remain in your car. Additional injuries can occur if proper precautions are not taken after an accident.

Contact Us For A Free Consultation · No Attorney Fees Unless You Win

At Tapp Law Firm, we represent clients in car accident injury and wrongful death cases on a contingency-fee basis. You pay nothing if we don’t help you recover money damages in a settlement or jury verdict, if your case goes to trial.

Call our Hot Springs offices at 501-623-9800 or send an email requesting a consultation time now.